Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Just Hanging Around

My husband is taking a class to aid in his pursuit of a doctorate. The class is this week and next, and for its duration we're staying at his parent's house. The class meets from 8:30-3:30... which leaves me with 7 hours a day to fill!

The past three days I've spent with my parents, helping them sort through and weed out things that they don't need in preparation for a yard sale. While my parents are trying on my patience, I do enjoy spending time with them. My mom and I are at a point where we can have good conversations, and we fall into them easily. We talk about life and death, family, meaning, purpose, politics, the oil spill... everything. Today one of the topics was worry. It was a brief conversation, but I hope meaningful to her. It was meaningful for me for sure.

I have a list of things that I want to do this week, one of which was to read The Hunger Games, which I did. I've moved on to How to Read Literature Like a Professor. So far, it's really good. I've learned how to spot a quest from a mile away, and that's just the first chapter. As I get more and more into my lit classes, I'm hoping this will help me at least keep up with the other students who have been doing this for three + years.

I also brought with me a surplus of scrapbooking supplies. So far, I've only used the ruler to cover some cushions for our kitchen remodel and the paper cutter to help hubby create labels for his binder dividers, but they're there if I need a little creative outlet.

So, that's what I've been doing - just hanging around. I'm curious as to what I'll end up doing tomorrow, as it'll be the first day I don't spend with my parents. I may sleep, I may run some errands, but it's likely I'll spend it lazily reading or meandering around town. Who knows what fun I'll run in to along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment