Monday, August 16, 2010

Sunday's Photo Challenge

Sunday held a new crop of photo challenges. I had a lot of fun with these, as I sequestered myself in the bathroom (good light and a blank wall) to get some self-portraits, and ended up with pictures for two of these challenges.

Challenge 13 was the self-portrait. I really like the way this turned out because of the bluriness. It gives it the idea of movement, which I feel describes me pretty well, especially once returning to school. I never seem to stop.


Challenge 14 asked whether we prefer candid or portrait shots. I definitely prefer candid, as I hate portrait shots of myself. I snapped this of my husband. His look says "not amused" - he doesn't particularly care for my camera antics.


The next challenge was to photo our scrapbook work space in the midst of a project. I've been working on the photo challenges, so my space hasn't had a chance to get too messy. Consider this a bragging shot. I love my scrapbook space! Since moving to a new house, we gave up the guest room for separate offices. I have an entire room to myself! I have a huge desk that my father-in-law made out of a table, and I put three bookcases on top for storage. It's a great set-up: plenty of room and all my supplies within reach!


To zoom out, I took a picture of our back yard. We have a great level yard with a cute little porch. I have many plans for this space: I'd like to build a garage, or maybe a bonus room, and possibly plant a garden. For now it's a blank slate.


I completed the second to last photo challenge of the day in the same "photo session" as my self-portrait. As I mentioned, I really don't like portraits of myself. I don't think I'm very photogenic. My smile always looks fake. So I decided to experiment a little with smiling and see if I could get a shot I liked. I'm pretty pleased with this one.


The final challenge, number 18, was general: take a picture of something at home. This is my money jar. In an attempt to eat more healthy, I've decided to give myself $10 for every pound I lose between now and Christmas. I'm keeping it in this jar as a visual reminder. I had a lot of fun decorating the jar with some extra fabric scraps left over from a baby quilt I made. I've already lost a few pounds!


So, that will do it for the photo challenges for Shimelle's scrapbook weekend. I had a lot of fun experimenting with taking pictures, and with having some inspiration for what to shoot. I want to improve my photography skills, so this at least got me more active in taking pictures. Seeing as I have less than two hours until the deadline for the crop, I don't think I'll be making any of the scrapbook challenges. I may use them for future inspiration!

Thanks, Shimelle, for an inspired weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, long lost friend!

    I love your blog... where did you get the challenges from? I am very interested... I do photography on the side (trying to make my place in the world, I would love for it to eventually become my job...) and I am a scrapper... so it sounds fun. Yours are awesome!

    Check out and follow me if you want. :-)
    http://krystalsargent.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of Mark is PRICELESS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krystal, the challenges came from Shimelle - www.shimelle.com. She's a scrapbook artist in London. She offers great challenges and classes!

    Christa, I kind of forgot to ask permission to post that picture. I'm hoping that saying "better to ask forgiveness than permission" is true!

    ReplyDelete